Thursday, April 15, 2010

Comment on Michele's Reader Response (same issue as Jeff)

Hi Michele Abercrombie!
I noticed in your post that you mentioned Daisy's preference for a simpleminded man such as Tom instead of a complex character like Gatsby. I don't believe, however, that she recognizes Gatsby as a genuine lover, and I don't believe he's complex(unless you're saying his past is complex, in which case I misunderstood). I think she feels that Tom does not give her the attention she craves (this crave can be seen in the first scene when Daisy energetically attempts to entertain her guests) and because she feels that Gatsby does not comprehend her at all, especially when he thinks he has complete control of her heart. In this sense, Gatsby thinks of her as an object, a key to the majestic universe of East Egg.

I agree with you in a sense, though. I think Tom will change because of the recent Wilson incidents, but that Gatsby will continue to use the same methods as before to reignite his relationship with Daisy.

-Shervin Rezaei

No comments:

Post a Comment