Thursday, April 15, 2010

re: reader response chapter 7

Sorry to make this a new post, but the library computer is not letting me publish my comment. This is in response to Stephanie's reader response on chapter 7 and Liam's comment on her post. I'm not sure if I am agreeing or not...but I'm just making a few statements I guess...

I don't think Daisy will end up with Gatsby at all to be frank. She likes the thought of being with him, and being loved for that matter, but she is too superficial to actually be with a man who isn't a true East Egger(yes I just made up a word). Tom's hypocrisy is simply warranted by the fact that he is living his American dream. Though we may view his actions as wrong and morally corrupt, I see Tom's American dream being to do as he pleases. Plus, being an East Egger gives him the notion that he is above social norms and standards. Essentially Tom believes his wealth and status is the answer to everything. I do believe that Daisy will have the strength to leave Tom in pursuit of her American Dream...which sadly doesn't include Gatsby

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Jeff
    You said in your last sentence that Daisy would be able to leave Tom to pursue her American Dream... What, if anything, do you think would cause her to leave the grandeur and elegance that she experiences with Tom in East Egg? We know she's extremely shallow and very attached to material things, so are you suggesting that the only way she'd be able to leave Tom would be if she were offered something even more luxurious than she already has?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hola,
    I'm not sure if she even needs that much, but if she can find a man who can give her more than Tom and love is in the equation, then yes. Though she is very shallow, Daisy comes from old money. I think she is in search of love and money, or at least some combination of the two. With Gatsby she will not feel like she truly be an East Egger, but if she stays with Tom she doesn't feel loved, and now that she knows someone could possibly love her she is going to try and find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff and Paulina,
    I honestly don't think that Daisy has the strength to leave Tom. She might want to, but doing it, on the other hand, is a completely different story. If Daisy leaves Tom, then Daisy might risk losing her "East Egg" status and that is the one quality she is truly proud of. Jeff, I agree with you that Daisy is in search for a combination of love and money, but because Daisy is portrayed as a shallow character, I think that for Daisy, money definitely outweighs love. In the past, Daisy already had a chance with Gatsby but because she was tempted by Tom and his wealth, she chose money over love. I think that Daisy is extremely comfortable with her lifestyle and I don't think she can give that up easily.

    ReplyDelete